Check out our helpful guide to Revolut international money transfers in the UK, including fees, exchange rates, transfer times and more.
Need to send money? These days, there are many different options available. You can use your bank, a money app or an online transfer service, with lots of providers to choose from here in the UK.
The online payment service PayPal is one of the most popular options for sending money both within the UK and internationally. But how does it compare to using your bank?
Find out here in this helpful guide, where we’ll be comparing PayPal vs. bank transfers on fees, exchange rates, transfer times, limits and more.
We’ll also show you an alternative that could be a better fit for your money transfer needs – the Wise account from the money services provider Wise. You can send money worldwide with Wise for low fees and great exchange rates.
As with any money transfer service, PayPal has both its upsides and downsides. Let’s run through a few pros and cons to consider.
- Fast if not instant transfer speeds
- Fully secure payments¹
- Free for domestic (UK) personal payments, such as to friends and family¹
- Can send through the handy PayPal mobile app
- Easy to open an account
- High fees for international payments and currency conversions
- The recipient needs to open a PayPal account to receive the payment. Although PayPal also works with Xoom to offer international transfers to recipients without an account¹
- PayPal is a popular target for scammers and fraudsters, so you’ll need to be careful who you’re sending money to
|📚 Read more: How to pay someone on PayPal in the UK?
Now, let’s give bank transfers the same treatment. Here are a few of the pros and cons of sending money via this method.
- Fully secure
- Free for UK transfers
- Fast UK payments - many arrive within a couple of hours.
- Most banks have mobile banking apps for sending money on the move.
- Choice to send via online or mobile banking, phone or in-branch.
- Your recipient must have a bank account
- Slower than other methods for international transfers
- Fees can be high for international payments, although some banks are better than others for sending money.
- Can be slow or difficult to get your money back if you send to the wrong person or make a mistake entering bank details.
|📚 Read more: What bank details are needed for an international bank transfer from the UK?
Here’s your at-a-glance look at all the key comparison points between PayPal and bank transfers for sending money, so that you can choose the right option for you:
|All users (age 18+)
Send payments worldwide
|All users (age 18+)
Send payments worldwide
|Fees - UK payments
|Free for personal payments¹
|- Free for standard transfers
- Fee for CHAPS same-day transfers (approx. £25³)
|Fees - international payments
|5% fee for international payments¹
|- Varies by bank, but usually around £10²-£20.³
- EUR payments to EU (SEPA) are usually free
|3% currency conversion margin above the mid-market rate¹
|Varies by bank, but likely to include margin above the mid-market rate
|Within 2 working days (often within minutes)⁴
|- Varies by bank
- UK payments - within 1 working day⁵
- International payments - 1-5 working days⁶
|Users have personal sending limits - check in account
|Varies by bank, usually between £10,000 and £50,000⁵
The cheapest option for sending money all depends on who you bank with, as well as where you’re sending to (and in which currency).
But as an illustration, let’s run through a quick hypothetical example for making an international payment. Imagine you want to send £500 to a friend in Australia.
Here’s how much it’ll cost you using PayPal, a bank (we’ve used a couple of examples here) and an alternative such as Wise when paying in via a bank transfer.
We’ve included the exchange rate for each, which will add to the total cost if the provider adds its own margin to the mid-market exchange rate. It’s really important to factor this in for international payments, as it makes a big difference to the overall cost.
|1.83139 - adding £18.76 to cost
|1.85116 - adding £13.69 to fee
|1.83594 - adding £17.24 to cost
|1.90326 - mid-market rate, adding £0 to cost
*Fees and rates correct as of 20/11/23 (12.45pm)
If you want to send money quickly, conveniently and affordably, Wise is the ideal alternative.
You can send money worldwide with Wise, including within the UK. Take your pick from 50+ currencies, and send to 160+ countries. There’s only a small, transparent transfer fee to pay, and absolutely no hidden fees.
Best of all, you’ll always get the mid-market exchange rate with no margin added on top. This could save you a bundle, especially on international payments and compared to using your bank.
And there you have it - a helpful comparison of PayPal vs. bank transfers in the UK, looking at everything from fees to transfer times.
It’s completely up to you which one you choose though. It may well depend on the transfer type and how much your bank charges for international payments.
Sources used for this article:
- PayPal - Send Money
- The Co-operative Bank - International Payment charges
- Lloyds Bank - Money Transfers
- PayPal - User Agreement
- Money Helper - How to make a bank transfer
- GoCardless - How long do international bank transfers take?
- Wise - Send money
Sources checked on 20-Nov-2023.
This publication is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its subsidiaries and its affiliates, and it is not intended as a substitute for obtaining advice from a financial advisor or any other professional.
We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
A guide to money transfer fees in the UK, including what banks charge and an alternative way to make a low-cost international transfer.
A helpful guide on how to cancel a Chase bank transfer, including whether it’s possible and how to go about it.
Ria Money Transfer®1 and Instarem®2 offer easy digital international money transfer services from the UK. Ria Money Transfer specialises in personal...
Ria Money Transfer®1 and WorldRemit®2 are both trusted and established international money transfer services which allow you to send payments abroad from the...
Looking to send money overseas from the UK? Perhaps you have family in other countries, have bills to pay on a holiday home or want to send an international...