Booked a KLM flight and your plans have changed? Read on for a handy guide on how to cancel a KLM flight, including whether or not you can get a refund.
We’ll even throw in a great tip for spending overseas when you do eventually jet off on your planned trip - the Wise travel money card.
But more on that later. Let’s get your KLM flight sorted first.
Yes, KLM allows you to cancel or amend your booking. The easiest way to do it is online, through one of two options.
Here’s how to request a cancellation or amendment to your KLM flight online²:
- Head to the KLM My Trip page
- To login, enter your booking code from your confirmation email or e-ticket, along with your surname
- View your booking details and the options for cancelling, amending or rebooking your trip.
You can only use this method for cancellations if you originally booked your flights through KLM¹. If you booked through a travel agent, you’ll need to contact them directly to cancel your trip.
The other way to cancel flights with KLM is to complete the online ‘Request a Refund’ form³. You’ll need your booking code to hand.
When you submit this form, your flight(s) will be automatically cancelled. You should find out whether you’re eligible for a full or part refund within 7 days³.
Again, you can only use this online refund form if you booked your flights directly through KLM.
Some flights at KLM are non-refundable, depending on the ticket type.
However, you may be able to access KLM refunds via the method above in certain circumstances³:
- If you cancel within 24 hours of booking
- If you booked a Flex ticket in Economy class - you may be able to get a free refund or pay a fee to get most of your money back
- If you booked a refundable Business Class flight
- You can’t fly due to extraordinary circumstances - such as visa issues, medical reasons or a passenger/family member of a passenger has passed away.
- You decided not to take your flight because it was delayed - read more about delay limits for cancellation refunds here.
- Your flight was cancelled by the airline.
Like many other airlines, KLM introduced new cancellation policies due to Covid-19¹. You can find the main headlines below.
If you booked your KLM flight before 1st February, departing before 1st July 2022:
- You can amend your travel dates or change your destination for free. You may still have to pay the difference in fare.
- You can apply for a KLM cancel flight voucher valid for 1 year - this is refundable or can be used to book another trip.
If you booked a KLM flight at any time, with a departure date after 30th June 2022:
- You can amend your travel dates or change your destination for free. Again, you’ll have to pay any difference in fare.
- Depending on your ticket type, you can request a refund - but you are not automatically entitled to one.
Need help? If you can’t cancel your flights online or have a question about the process, here’s how to get in touch with KLM⁴:
- Message on social media - Whatsapp, Facebook messenger or Twitter. More details here.
- Call the KLM Service Line on +44 20 76 60 02 93.
When you do get to finally enjoy your planned holiday, check out Wise as a smart, money-saving way to spend while abroad.
It offers low fee contactless spending, and automatically converts your money at the real exchange rate. It’s a travel must-have.
After reading this guide, you should have all the info you need on how to cancel your KLM flight. Fingers crossed you can get a refund, but remember that you can always rebook to avoid losing your money.
Sources used for this article:
Sources checked on 9-Dec-2021.
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from TransferWise Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
A guide on how to get an international driving licence in the UK, including who needs one, where to apply and what documents you need.
A handy guide on how to cancel Aer Lingus flights, including refunds, Covid-19 cancellations and more.
If you have a flight booked with Spanish airline Vueling but have to change your plans, you’ll need to know what your options are. In this guide, we’ll walk...
A helpful guide on how to cancel EasyJet flights, including refunds, cancellation fees and EasyJet’s Covid-19 cancellation policy.
A handy guide on how to cancel Wizz Air flights, including Wizz Air cancellation fees, refunds and how to contact customer services.
A handy guide on how to cancel a TUI flight, including your options for cancelling online and getting a refund.