Import licence UK - what it is, who needs one and how to apply

Remay Villaester (May)

If your business plans to import goods or supplies into the UK from abroad, you’ll need to make sure you meet the UK Government’s import control rules. One of the first things to check is whether or not you need an import licence.

In this handy guide, we’ll cover all the essential information you need to know about UK import licences. This includes the goods they cover, who needs to get an import licence and how to apply for one.

Want to save money on international transactions? Find out how

What is a UK import licence?

Import licences are designed to regulate and control certain types of goods entering the UK’s borders.

They’re mainly issued by the UK Government’s Department for International Trade, at its Import Licensing Branch. However, some types of import licence are issued by other bodies. For example, the Department of Health for licences to import certain medicines, or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for importing biocides¹.

If you import goods into the UK, it’s your responsibility to keep yourself informed about import controls, restrictions and licences. Fail to get the right licence and you could face customs delays or goods seizures, fines or other penalties.

Do I need an import licence?

Many businesses won’t need a licence to import goods into the UK, although you will need to register for an Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI number). You can find a full guide on how to do this on the Government’s website.

But if you import goods in any of the following categories, you’re likely to need to apply for a licence:²

  • Plants or plant products
  • High risk food products (we’ll look at this in more detail next)
  • Medicines for people or animals
  • Controlled drugs
  • Hazardous chemicals
  • Tissues and cells for human application
  • Animals or animal products
  • Nuclear material
  • Firearms, knives, swords or anything else that could potentially be used for torture or harm.

Food import licences for the UK

If your business is planning to import food products, you’ll need to first check that they don’t fall into the ‘high risk’ category.

This refers to products which could potentially cause harm and/or break the rules on contaminants if they don’t meet certain standards. For example, food products containing salmonella, pesticides or contaminants such as aflatoxins and mycotoxins³.

You’ll find more information on this at the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website.

Certificates of Free Sale (CFS)¹

There is another type of UK import licence you might need to know about, the Certificate of Free Sale (CFS).

This is mainly used for particular types of goods arriving from countries with lower product safety standards than the UK. For example, cosmetics, certain medicines, food supplements and other products which come into contact with humans.

Where to start your import licence application

Whether you need an import licence or a Certificate of Free Sale (CFS), the first place to go is the DIT’s Import Licensing Branch portal, also known as its Case Management System.

Here, importers and exporters can register with the system and apply for the licences and CFS documents they need. There’s also contact information and extensive guidance for importers - including this handbook on the process for applying for a CFS.

Import and export licence fees

Now, how much does an import licence cost? The short answer to this is, it depends what you’re importing and where from.

You may even need multiple licences or other checks to make sure that your goods meet the required standards. The same goes for exports, as you may need a different kind of licence for each type of controlled goods you plan to ship.

So, make sure you factor in the cost of application fees when shipping goods either to or from the UK.

Thinking of trading internationally? Save money with Wise for Business

If your business is branching out into international trading, you’ll need a smart, low-cost and convenient way to manage your money across borders. This is where Wise comes in.

Open a multi-currency account with Wise and you can send and receive money worldwide for low, transparent fees. Better still, you’ll get the real, mid-market exchange rate. This makes it up to 19x cheaper than using PayPal, a service some businesses turn to when they start to trade in other countries.

From your powerful Wise account, you can easily automate batch payments, pay invoices in 70+ countries in the local currency and even spend like a local on international business trips using your contactless Business debit card.

And to keep it all easy to manage, you can integrate your Wise account with accounting software like Xero or Quickbooks.

After reading this guide, you should have a better idea of whether or not your business needs a UK import licence. We’ve covered the categories of goods requiring a licence or CFS, how to apply and where to find more information. However this article provides general information about the topic and should not be taken as an advice. You should consult with an expert if anything is unclear to you.

Just remember to do your homework before giving your import plans the green light, as it could save you a lot of hassle later on. Good luck!

Sources used for this article:

  1. import controls
  2. - importing goods into UK
  3. Importing high risk food and feed

Sources checked on 28th April 2021

Please see terms of use and product availability for your region or visit Wise fees and pricing for the most up to date pricing and fee information.

This publication is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its subsidiaries and its affiliates, and it is not intended as a substitute for obtaining advice from a financial advisor or any other professional.

We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.

Money without borders

Find out more

Tips, news and updates for your location