Digital Nomad Visa in Thailand - What it is, the cost and how to get it

Tommy Buckley

Thinking of working remotely, so you can travel the world? There are far worse places to do it than Thailand.

This beautiful country is known for its stunning scenery, gorgeous beaches, hot climate and fabulous food, as well as its vibrant nightlife.

Thailand is also a great choice for digital nomads. The cost of living is low, and if you choose the right city you’ll even find fast internet and co-working spaces.

But before you can set up shop in Thailand, you’ll need to get your paperwork sorted. In this guide, we’ll show you how to get a digital nomad visa for Thailand. This will give you legal permission to live, travel and carry out remote work.

We’ll also show you a great way to get paid in nearly a dozen currencies and spend in the local currency all over the world - using the Wise multi-currency account.

Send Money With Wise

What is a digital nomad?

If you’re new to the concept, a digital nomad is someone who travels freely while working remotely. If you’re lucky enough to have a job where all you need is a laptop and an internet connection, the world is your oyster.

Digital nomads tend to work in coffee shops, libraries or co-working spaces. Some people stay in a place for a while, while others travel around.

They do their work whenever they want, while exploring a new country and soaking up the local culture. It can also be a good way to fund travel, as you can earn money as you go.

Working remotely vs. making money in Thailand

For both tax and visa purposes, there’s a difference between working remotely as a digital nomad, and actually having a job in Thailand.

The first thing to know about is tax residency. Under Thailand’s tax laws, you’re considered to be a tax resident if you stay for a period of 180 days or more within any given calendar year.¹

If this applies to you and your circumstances, you’ll need to pay income tax. Tax will be due on income received from abroad (such as from an employer or client back home) if it is remitted into Thailand.¹

The good news though is that the UK has a double-tax agreement with Thailand. This should mean that you won’t pay tax twice on the same income.¹

Another important thing to consider is whether you’ll need a work permit. This can sometimes be a little complicated to work out for digital nomads.

Generally speaking, you will need to get a work permit if you’re carrying out any kind of work in Thailand, especially if you’re doing something that potentially takes a job away from a Thai citizen.¹ You can find some examples of situations where you might and might not need a work permit here.

Visa types for digital nomads in Thailand

As well as checking out your tax liability and whether or not you’ll need a work permit as a digital nomad in Thailand - you’ll also need to get a visa.

There are a few different visa types available. These include:

  • Visa on arrival
  • Tourist visa
  • 90-day Non-immigrant visa
  • Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa - (Work-from Thailand professional category).

Let’s look at each of these options in a little more detail.

Visa on arrival²

For certain visas, you don’t necessarily need to apply in advance of your visit to Thailand. You can get a visa on arrival when you get there, and stay for a period of 30 days.

This is only an option for the Thailand tourist visa, and only if you’re a passport holder of an approved country. You can see the full list here, but unfortunately the UK isn’t on it.

The good news though is that UK citizens can visit Thailand visa-free for up to 30 days. If you want to work while you’re there though, you’ll need to get a work permit or look into other visa types.

The Tourist Visa

This visa is designed for tourists. It’s a single-entry visa which legally allows you to stay in Thailand for up to 60 days. It’s also possible to get a multi-entry tourist visa, and to apply for extensions to your stay.

To be eligible for this visa, you’ll simply need your passport and a completed application form. For multi-entry visas, you’re likely to need other documents such as proof of enough funds to support yourself during your stay.

You’ll also need to pay the application fee, which is £30 for a single entry visa or £150 for a multi-entry visa.³

An important thing to know about this visa is that it doesn’t permit you to work. Nor would you be able to apply for a work permit using it. If you want to work during a short stay in Thailand, you’ll need to apply for the 90-day Non-immigrant visa, which we’ll look at next.⁴

To apply for a Thailand tourist visa, you’ll need to:⁵

  1. Go to to complete your online application
  2. Upload supporting documents when requested
  3. Pay the visa fee online
  4. Wait 3-5 days for your application to be processed
  5. If successful, you’ll receive an online e-Visa.

You can only apply for a visa within 3 months of travelling to Thailand.⁵

Thailand Digital Nomad Visa (90-day Non-immigrant visa)⁶

Now we come to the option arguably best suited for digital nomads wanting to spend time in Thailand.

The 90-day Non-immigrant visa gives you permission to stay in Thailand for 90 days (with the option to extend) for the purposes of work - along with other activities.

It gives you the ability to apply for a work permit and to open a bank account in Thailand. This can be really handy for digital nomads needing to get paid, although there are other options like the Wise account. This visa costs £60.³

There are a few different categories of this visa, and the documents you’ll need for your application vary depending which type you choose. However, you’re likely to need to provide employment details as well as bank statements. Find out more here.

How to apply for the above visa (Step by step)

To apply for a Thailand non-immigrant visa, you’ll need to:

  1. Go to to complete your online application
  2. Upload supporting documents when requested
  3. Pay the visa fee online
  4. Wait for your application to be processed
  5. If successful, you’ll receive an online e-Visa.

Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa⁷

If you’d like to stay in Thailand for longer, there’s also the option of the Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa.

This is a 10-year visa, with a number of different categories. The one that would apply to digital nomads is the Work-from Thailand professional category. However, the eligibility criteria for this visa is quite restrictive. You’ll need to be a remote worker for a well-established public or private company, or a highly skilled professional in a particular industry. There are also other requirements, such as a minimum personal income.

There’s also the fee of 50,000 baht, which is around £1,176 in GBP.

But if you’re eligible, you could benefit from perks such as:

  • A 10-year renewable visa
  • Discounted personal income tax rate of 17%
  • Fast track service at international airports in Thailand.

How to apply for the above visa (Step by step)

To apply for a Thailand non-immigrant visa, you’ll need to:

  1. Go to to complete your online application
  2. Upload supporting documents when requested
  3. Pay the visa fee online
  4. Wait around 20 days for your application to be processed.

Using Wise for visa payment and currency abroad

Got your Thai visa and work permit sorted? The next step is to book your flights, but it’s also worth thinking about how you’ll manage your money in Thailand.

Getting paid is going to be a top priority when working abroad. Rather than opening a Thai bank account, check out Wise instead.

It’s quick and easy to open a Wise multi-currency account online. It lets you manage your money in 50 currencies at once, including THB and GBP. You can get paid quickly and securely and convert your earnings to your chosen currency using the mid-market exchange rate.

If you need to send money abroad, you can do it in just a few clicks - and all for low, transparent fees.

There’s even a Wise debit card for spending in 174 countries. This automatically converts your money to the local currency at a great rate whenever you spend.

Get The Wise Card 💳

With a Wise account, you’ll be able to spend like a local - wherever you are in the world.

Please see the Terms of Use for your region or visit Wise fees & pricing for the most up-to-date information on pricing and fees. See Which Countries Can I Use Wise In for list of authorized countries, and our help center for card coverage.

Sources used:

  1. HLB Thailand - Tax implications of remote working in Thailand
  2. London Thai Embassy - Visa on Arrival
  3. London Thai Embassy - Visa fees
  4. Thai Embassy - Thailand work permit
  5. London Thai Embassy - How to apply for Thailand e-Visa
  6. London Thai Embassy - Non-immigrant visas
  7. HLB Thailand - Long-term resident LTR visa

Sources last checked on date: 04-May-2023

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.

Money for here, there and everywhere

Find out more

Tips, news and updates for your location