All you need to know about how to register, top up and use Alipay in Malaysia. Plus smart ways to send money abroad with Wise.
PayPal lets users shop securely with retailers all around the world, and can be a good way to make local payments to friends, family and businesses. You can also make international transfers, but there are fees you’ll want to understand first. More on that coming right up.
Let’s get started with the basics of PayPal Malaysia, and how to top up your PayPal account easily.
Here’s what we'll cover:
- How to top up PayPal Malaysia accounts
- How to use PayPal without an RHB account
- Linking a credit or debit card to PayPal
- Frequently asked questions - PayPal Malaysia top up
If you send money abroad with PayPal, you may want to know that PayPal’s exchange rates include a markup or currency conversion charge (2.5% to 4%).¹ So make sure to check the applied exchange rate as well as PayPal’s transfer fees.
In Malaysia, you’ll need an RHB account to top up your PayPal account. At the moment it’s not possible to access this feature if you use a different bank. It’s worth noting that your PayPal account must be in the same name as your RHB account - and it’ll take 3 to 5 working days for the money to arrive in your PayPal balance.²⁻⁴
If you’re an RHB customer, this is what you’ll need to do to top up your PayPal:⁴
- Log into your account and click on Wallet
- Select Transfer Money
- Click on the option to Add money to your balance
- Select your confirmed bank account and add the details of the transfer you want to make
- Check and confirm using the Add button, and you’re done
Don’t worry if you don’t have an RHB account. You can simply link your credit or debit card to your PayPal account and use that as a means of payment instead of topping up.
Are you a Maybank customer? Learn more about using PayPal with your Maybank account here.
- Create or login to your PayPal account
- Link your credit, debit or prepaid card to your PayPal account
After you link a card, you need to verify it;
- Click Wallet and choose the card you want to confirm
- Select Confirm card
- Read through the information provided and click to confirm
- A small amount will be charged to your card by PayPal
- This will then appear on your card statement alongside a 4-digit code and the word PAYPAL
After you get the code, take the following steps;
- Click Wallet and choose the card you want to confirm
- You’ll see a box which requests the 4-digit security code
- Enter the code and click Confirm - and you’re all set
- PayPal will refund you the amount you were initially charged
💡Meet Wise: Send money without hidden fees in the exchange rates
Take a look at the low cost international transfers available from Wise, to see if you can save.
Wise use the mid-market exchange rate with cheap, transparent transfer fees, and is up to 4x cheaper than banks in Malaysia.
To send money with Wise,
- Register for free
- Choose an amount to send
- Add recipient’s bank details
- Verify your identity
- Pay for your transfer by bank transfer or debit/credit card
And that is it! You can track your transfer in your account and your recipient will also be notified when a transfer reaches them.
Join over 10 million customers and experience a cheaper, faster way to send money abroad.
In many countries you can visit a 7-Eleven store to top up and manage many e-wallets and online accounts such as PayPal. However, at the time of writing, 7-Eleven Malaysia does not advertise PayPal top ups as a service on offer. This suggests it’s not possible to top up your PayPal account at 7-eleven in Malaysia. Visit the 7-Eleven Malaysia website to learn more.⁷
It’s only possible to top up your PayPal Malaysia account with a linked RHB account. If you don’t have an RHB account you can choose instead to link your credit or debit cards to PayPal and use these to fund payments and transfers.
Depending on how you manage your money, you may be able to top up your PayPal Malaysia account directly from your RHB bank account - or you could choose to link a credit or debit card and pay that way instead.
PayPal offers convenient services when you’re shopping online or sending money to friends and family. However, it’s important to know that there are costs involved when you spend with international retailers, or send money overseas. These can include currency conversion charges. Compare the costs of your transaction with PayPal against another service like Wise, which uses the mid-market exchange rate and low, transparent transfer fees.
Use this guide as a starting point when you want to top up your PayPal account in Malaysia, and don’t forget to double check the fees for any service you’re using.
- PayPal User Agreement - Fees and Fees Table See “Malaysia” in “3. Additional Fees”.
- PayPal Malaysia - Manage your PayPal Personal Account
- RHB - Frequently Asked Questions
- PayPal Malaysia - How do I add money to my PayPal account from my confirmed bank account?
- PayPal Malaysia
- PayPal Malaysia - How do I confirm a debit or credit card that I've linked to my PayPal account?
- 7-Eleven Malaysia - Services
All sources checked on 20 May, 2021
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
Read on for all you need to know about how to top up and use the balance of your PayPal account in Malaysia.
What is the difference between charge card and a credit card? Read more about what is a charge card and comparison between two types of cards.
Wondering where can I use PayPal in Malaysia? This guide covers all you need to know about using PayPal as a Malaysian
Full guide to the best credit cards in Malaysia, 2023 - lower fees, better rates, and top rewards, plus how to cut foreign transaction fees with Wise.
Buying from Amazon? Here's how to do it in Malaysia: how Amazon ships to Malaysia, payment methods, tracking, and more.