Venmo is a well known service for online money transfers. Run by PayPal, people use it for all kinds of things, from rent and utilities payments to splitting restaurant bills - it lets you pay your contacts (or some businesses), as long as they have a Venmo account¹.
By connecting directly to your bank account or to a credit or debit card, you have no fees unless the money you send is from your credit card, in which case the fee is 3%².
But how long does Venmo take? Can you speed the process up? And what are your alternatives? In this article, you’ll have a read on all that - and you’ll see how Wise can help you with its fast and cheap international money transfers.
There are several stages to the process with Venmo, so it’s important to know which step we’re talking about. When you send money via Venmo, it initially goes to the recipient’s Venmo account – not to their actual bank account. That should happen quickly.
If the recipient wants, they can leave the money received in their Venmo account, and use it for any future Venmo payments. But if they want to have the money in a bank account, they’ll need to make a bank transfer out of Venmo. And that generally takes 1-3 business days.³
Or, for a fee, there’s an Instant Transfer option that’s quicker.³
Though this usually takes 1-3 business days, we can check it with more detail. Venmo makes it clear that the precise amount of time the transfer takes depends on exactly when the transfer is initiated.
- Weekday transfers before 7pm Eastern Time may arrive the next business day or up to 3 business days later.
- Weekday transfers after 7pm Eastern Time will only be initiated the following business day, so the soonest is 2 days later.
- Weekend transfers have to wait until Monday, so the soonest they’ll arrive is Tuesday.
- Bank holidays take an extra business day.³
How come they may take several days? The short answer is, they use ACH payments, which are a very reliable and stable method, but often need some days to complete their transactions.³
If you need your money sooner than within 1-3 business days, a Venmo Instant Transfer can help you out.
Despite the name, an Instant Transfer can generally take up to 30 minutes. It’s not done via ACH, so is less dependent on the day and time when you make the transfer.⁴
The fee for an Instant Transfer is 1%, but there are limits on that – the minimum fee is $0.25 and the max is $10.⁴
In rare cases, something might go wrong with a Venmo bank transfer. You may need to reach out to Venmo to resolve the problem, but it’s possible that the reason is one of the following:
- You’ve accidentally provided the wrong bank details. If there’s a problem with the bank details provided, you should get an email from Venmo about why your details are “Invalid.”⁵
- A bank transfer may also be invalid if your bank account has restrictions on receiving ACH transactions, in which case you’ll need to talk to your bank.⁵
- Another possibility is that Venmo is reviewing your transfer, which it does from time to time. This could cause delays or even cancelations. If that happens, Venmo might ask you to provide some additional information.⁶
Venmo is hugely popular, but it isn’t the only show in town. Also, it still doesn't alllow you to send money abroad⁷.
If you want to send cheap and quick online transfers, Wise can help you out. You can send and receive money directly between your Wise profile and a bank account. And the best of all - you can also do this internationally, without hidden costs on exchange rates nor any Swift fees.
See how the times and prices would look like for the following examples:
|Transfer $500 from Wise to a USD bank account||Transfer $500 from Wise to a GBP bank account|
|Time||Usually up to 1 working day||In seconds|
Sources (last checked on 19 April 2021):
- Venmo Incomplete Payment to a Phone Number or Email Address
- Venmo start
- Venmo Help Center Bank Transfer Timeline
- Venmo Help Center Instant Transfers FAQ
- Venmo Help Center Invalid Bank Account
- Venmo Help Center Reviews of Transfers Into and Out of Venmo
- Venmo Help Center General Business & Partnership Inquiries
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from TransferWise Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
How to Send Money on Cash App: Transfer Money to Your Bank Account or to Your Recipient In The US - or Internationally
Sending money on the Cash App is simple! Learn how to send money to your bank account. Send money to your recipient within the US or internationally.
Wondering whether PayPal.me could be right for you? This guide will help walk you through fees and what you should know before you dive in.
The payment giant PayPal also offers a prepaid card for their customers. But is it worth getting a PayPal Prepaid Mastercard? Check the article to find out.
Making an international wire transfer can seem a bit complicated. Read on to find out how to wire money abroad, as well as some cheaper alternative options!
Receiving an international wire transfer in the US? Here's a guide on the fees, the time, and what you should give to your sender overseas.
This guide will take you through how to wire money with Capital One US, including the costs and time for a wire transfer. You can find all you need to know. 🤓