Luggage weight and dimensions are important factors to consider when packing for a trip involving air travel. The baggage limitations can differ between...
For 42% of Australians, the cost of the flights will determine their holiday destinations.⁸ To stay within the budget, it’s important to plan for any unexpected financial costs, such as medical emergencies and loss of luggage.
Travel insurance helps with unexpected expenses when travelling. 1Cover is a travel insurance provider that can help with cover for both international and domestic travel. This article will guide you through 1Cover’s insurance packages, the benefits, and the process of purchasing a policy and making a claim with 1Cover.
|💸 Hold over 40 currencies in your account and spend at the mid-market exchange rate with the Wise card while abroad.
1Cover offers travel insurance packages that cover a variety of unexpected or emergency expenses while travelling internationally or domestically. Travel insurance with 1Cover covers overseas medical assistance, lost or damaged luggage, car rental excess fees, credit card fraud, flight delays and cancellations, and other additional expenses in some circumstances.
1Cover offers a range of travel insurance packages based on the needs and the types of travel, for both domestic and international destinations. 1Cover’s packages and add-ons include¹:
- Comprehensive international travel insurance
- Domestic travel insurance
- Annual travel insurance
- Cruise travel insurance
- Ski travel insurance
- Already overseas
- Rental car excess insurance
1Cover’s travel insurance policy is underwritten by HDI Global Specialty SE – Australia and Coffre-Fort acts as the underwriting agent.²
1Cover offers a variety of benefits and, depending on the type of insurance, you can get additional cover for more specific needs. The benefits include³:
- Unlimited 24/7 overseas emergency medical assistance
- Medical transfer to the nearest medical facility, by road or air, including repatriation to Australia
- Cancellation cover that helps if you fall sick or need to change your travel plans
- Up to AUD$15,000 for loss or damage to luggage and personal effects
- Car rental excess cover for exorbitant rental fees that you might incur if your car is damaged or stolen
- Cover for if you’re a victim of credit card fraud
- Help in case your flight is delayed or cancelled
- Cover for legal liability in some circumstances
- Cover for loss of cash or postal order in some scenarios
- Cover for additional accommodation and travel expenses if your travel plans are disrupted due to injury or illness
- Insurance options specific to cruise and ski holidays
1Cover has a variety of coverage available catering to specific needs and types of travel. The following table provides a breakdown of the major benefits and covers offered. 1Cover’s Product Disclosure Statement gives a more comprehensive look into all the benefits available, the excesses applied, and the add-on insurance packages.²
|Comprehensive/Overseas Frequent Traveller
|Domestic/Domestic Frequent Traveller
|Overseas emergency medical assistance
|Overseas emergency medical & hospital expenses
|Credit card fraud & replacement
|Theft of cash
|Luggage & personal effects
|Additional accommodation & travel expenses
|Cancellation fees & lost deposits
|Alternative transport expenses
|Rental vehicle insurance excess add-on
|Up to AUD$8,000
|Up to AUD$8,000
|Up to AUD$8,000
As seen on 1 November 2023
1Cover’s travel insurance fees differ based on the specifics and requirements of the travellers such as age, duration of travel, pre-existing medical conditions, and destination and whether you wish to purchase additional covers.¹
1Cover, like most travel insurance policies, has some scenarios that aren’t covered. A detailed guide to all the limits and exclusions can be found in 1Cover’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Following are some of the main exclusions⁴:
- Disappointing holiday
- Risky activities
- Carelessness resulting in theft or loss of luggage and personal effects
- Poor planning with wrong visa, passport or flight
- Breaking the law
- Ignoring official travel warnings
1Cover travel insurance is available if you fulfil the following criteria²:
- You currently reside in Australia
- Your trip starts and ends in Australia
- You hold a valid Australian Medicare card or, if you’re a temporary visitor, you have a private health insurance policy that fulfils the Australian government health insurance requirements for your visa
- As a temporary visitor, your visa remains valid beyond the period of your return
- You are within the age limits that apply to the plan you wish to purchase. For those 80 years or older, the cover is only available up to a maximum of 6 months per journey. The age limits are as follows:
|74 and under
|74 and under
|64 and under
|64 and under
As seen on 1 November 2023
You can get travel insurance with 1Cover online by going through the following process:
- Fill in the countries you are visiting, the dates of departure and return, and the ages of the travellers into the quote generator.
- Once you get an initial quote, you can go through the benefits included in the policy. Here, you can also choose to add your excess or additional coverage for a cruise, snow, renting a vehicle, or high-value items. The quote will be adjusted accordingly.
- You will then be asked to provide your details such as your name, contact information, date of birth and address. You will also need to declare any pre-existing medical conditions here.
- Lastly, you enter your payment details and complete the purchase.
There are three ways to make a claim with 1Cover travel insurance.⁵
You can make a claim online by visiting 1Cover’s website.
- Log in to the Policy and Claims Manager.
- Launch the online claims form and complete it.
- Attach as many supporting documents, receipts and other documents as you can.
You can also make a claim via 1Cover’s contact page on the website.⁶
- On 1Cover’s support page, choose the option of making a claim.
- Select make a new claim.
- Fill in the form.
You can make a claim by post by downloading the claims form, completing it, and posting it to PO Box 6798, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153.
1Cover provides unlimited overseas medical claims related to COVID-19 if you test positive and require emergency medical attention. The policy will cover costs incurred from any overseas medical treatment, use of an ambulance or repatriation to Australia.
Your certificate of insurance will have an additional page detailing the COVID-19 cover which can be used as evidence whenever required.
However, 1Cover doesn’t cover instances where you catch COVID-19 before you depart, changes or cancellations of travel plans, government quarantine requirements or restrictions to travel due to COVID-19. Additional expenses related to COVID-19 are also not covered.⁷
A travel insurance policy has many details to be considered before purchase. 1Cover has a Product Disclosure Statement providing a comprehensive guide to all the inclusions, exclusions, limits and eligibility criteria for the different policies on offer. Ideally, you should go through it before making a decision.
You can contact the 1Cover team in a few different ways.¹⁰
- Fill in a contact form on the support page of the website
- Email general enquiries to info @ 1cover.com.au and claims enquiries to claims @ 1cover.com.au
- If you’re experiencing an emergency, you can get in touch with 1Cover at (+)6128776 3010 if you’re overseas, 1300884508 if you’re in Australia, or send an email to assistance @ travelclaimscentre.com⁹
With a Wise Account you can hold money in over 40 currencies and spend it in over 150 countries. Whenever you exchange currencies it’s done using the mid-market rate with a conversion fee shown upfront.
To make everyday spending easier you can order a Wise Debit card for your Wise Account and generate virtual cards as needed. If you have the local currency in your Wise Account the Wise card will use it for local payments. If you don’t, it uses smart technology to auto-convert your money at the mid-market rate, for a conversion fee.
Join over 16 million customers currently using Wise. It’ll only take a few minutes to register and see what’s inside.
- 1Cover Homepage
- 1Cover Travel Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDF)
- 1Cover What does our travel insurance cover?
- 1Cover General exclusions
- 1Cover Making a claim
- 1Cover Contact form
- 1Cover COVID-19 information hub
- Skyscanner Travel Trends 2024: redefining value through experience
- 1Cover Emergency contacts
- 1Cover Contact
Sources checked on 1 November 2023
This publication is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its subsidiaries and its affiliates, and it is not intended as a substitute for obtaining advice from a financial advisor or any other professional.
We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
Australia Post is more readily associated with handling the delivery of physical packages and letters both domestically and internationally. However, they...
When travelling, you might encounter flight cancellations or you might have to cancel a flight yourself due to a variety of reasons. Each airline has its own...
Back in the day, using your Australian phone abroad would mean high usage costs and limited connectivity, if it even worked at all. These days, international...
When travelling within Australia or abroad there are so many decisions to make, including where to stay, what to do and how to get around. One of the most...
When travelling abroad, some Aussies have the misconception that the Australian Government would help with medical treatment if necessary.³ While it’s true...