Overview of DBS India Remit service that provides remittances to India for DBS account holders in Singapore with a How-to Guide and expected costs.
Scotiabank is a global bank headquartered in Canada, that offers international accounts to overseas citizens. If you are headed to Canada, learn how to show proof of funds and open a Scotiabank Startright® account before you arrive.
|📝 Table of contents
Yes, if you are heading to Canada you can open a bank account even before you leave India.
Scotiabank’s Startright® program lets you apply and open a bank account online from India. You are also allowed to deposit up to Can$50,000 in a one-time transfer to fund the account.
The purpose of Startright® is to help individuals coming to Canada show proof of funds in the country. Proof of funds and the purpose of the account can be for:
- Savings & Investment
- Purchasing property
- Purchasing a vehicle
The Student GIC application with Startright® can also help you get your student permit faster for your Canadian institution.
|🔖 Read more: How to transfer money to a GIC account
It is required however that once you have arrived in the country to make an appointment at a Scotiabank branch to open a regular chequing account.
The regular chequing account will provide you with a debit card, cheques, online or app bill pay options, and the ability to transfer funds to another Canadian bank. Your Startright® bank account will be dissolved into the new chequing account.
- Ability to show proof of funds in Canada
- Peace of mind that your funds are ready
- Reduce multiple transfer fee costs from India
- Easier opening of a chequing account once in Canada
- Reduces the need to carry Canadian dollars when traveling
But of course, to open a bank account, first ensure that you are eligible per the criteria in the next section.¹
To be eligible for Scotiabank’s Startright® program, you have to meet the following:
- Be at least 13 years old
- You have received approval to enter Canada as an International Student, Foreign Worker, or Permanent Resident.
- You plan to enter Canada within 18 months of submitting your Startright® program application
- You are not coming as a tourist or on a visitor visa
You will also need to confirm that the account is for your own individual use and not to be used by any third party.
If you meet all these requirements, you can move forward with an application. Here is what you will need:
- Your passport
- Date of arrival in Canada
- Your Canadian Visa or Landing Document Number
- Proof of enrollment from the Canadian educational institution, if you are a student
Next, you can apply for the Scotiabank Startright® program online. The application takes 5-10 minutes total and you will be notified of approval within 24 hours.²
Here are the steps on how to apply for Scotiabank’s Startright® program online from India:
- Gather all your documents and create PDFs as needed
- Head to the Scotiabank Startright® website
- Click on Apply Now on the top right corner
- Select either International Account or Student GIC to open the appropriate application
- OR you can scroll to the bottom of the page and input “India” as your selected country and click on Apply Now
- Read through the disclosures and click on Start
- Enter in your details and upload documents
- Submit your application
Once you are approved, you will be notified on how to transfer money into your new account.³
If there are any questions, you can reach out to the Scotiabank Startright® representatives:
Scotiabank will provide you with the account details to fund your Startright® account with a one-time transfer of up to Can$50,000. To send money overseas from India, you will need to do an international transfer or sometimes called outward remittance.
Many, but not all, Indian banks offer outward remittances from India. If you have signed up for online banking, you can find it under Transfers on your bank’s online dashboard. Or you can head to a local branch to get the transaction started in person.
But the thing with Indian banks is to watch out for fees. There is an outward remittance fee, plus an exchange rate fee. Both can add up to costing your transfer a lot more than you would expect.
The outward remittance fee is the cost of completing the transaction by the bank. The exchange rate fee is a small fee that is tucked into the exchange rate you get for converting Indian Rupees to Canadian Dollars. Rather than giving you the real exchange rate you see on Google, the banks set their own rate which is weaker. And so, costing you more per rupee converted.
So if you want to save money when sending money to your Scotiabank Startright® account, or any account overseas, check out Wise. Wise only uses the real exchange rate and has one low fee when sending money from India. So you can save up to 3.9x on an international transfer with Wise.
Here is the simple and easy way to send money to Canada with Wise:
- Open the Wise app
- Press Send on the bottom of the screen
- Input the amount of INR to send
- Input the receiving currency in Canadian Dollars
- Review the fee and the exchange rate and delivery date
- Press Continue
- Input and confirm the Startright® bank details
- Pay for the transaction
- Review and confirm the transaction
- Log into your account on the Wise website
- Input the amount to send in INR
- Select Canadian Dollars as the recipient currency
- Review the fee, exchange rate, and delivery date
- Click on Get Started
- Input and confirm the Startright® bank details
- Pay for the transaction
- Review and submit the transaction
|⚠️ Wise allows for a maximum of ₹6,50,000 INR to be sent from India in one transfer.
The best part is that Wise can help you save when sending money abroad. So whether you are paying for university tuition in Canada, sending gifts, or reserving a holiday home, Wise can make sure you don’t spend more than you have to.
And if you are already in Canada, check out the Wise Multi Currency Account. It is a single account that lets you hold multiple currencies at one time, including Indian Rupees. That means you can swipe and spend when you are in India, send money to family back home, or receive money from friends. It's living globally right at your fingertips.
Sources used for this article:
All sources checked as of 15 March, 2022
This publication is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its subsidiaries and its affiliates, and it is not intended as a substitute for obtaining advice from a financial advisor or any other professional.
We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
विदेश से भारत पैसे कैसे पैसा मंगाने के विभिन्न तरीकों के बारे में जानें। आइये इनकी फीस और समय को समझते हैं।
India ke log puri duniya main failey hue hain, and aksar apne India mein family aur friends ko videsh se paise bhejte hain. Aaiye dekhte hain ki videsh se...
Looking to remit to India from abroad? Here's a guide to what's available with Axis Bank and an overview of alternatives that can help you save.
Understand the RBI purpose codes and how to use them properly to ensure smooth international remittances to and from India with this insightful guide.
Looking to remit to India with HDFC Bank? Here's a guide to the available options and alternatives that can help you save with international remittances to Indi