Your guide to the 103 subclass parent permanent visa

Roberto Efflandrin

If you’re looking for a visa that allows parents to permanently join their children living in Australia, then a 103 Parent Visa may be the way to go. This guide will walk you through what you need to know about obtaining this visa type in a clear and simple way. Let's jump right in.

💰 Wise provides you the real exchange rate and low transparent transfer fees for your international transfers.

Learn more about Wise

What is a 103 permanent parent visa

A Subclass 103 Parent visa enable a parent to live in Australia as an Australian permanent resident.¹

💡 Important to note
The 103 Parent Visa is subject to Capping and Queuing. This means that there is a limited number of visas granted each immigration program year. Once this number is reached, no more visas are granted until the next Migration Program year (every 1 July to 30 June).²

Main benefits provided by a 103 subclass visa

People who hold a Subclass 103 Parent visa are able to apply for Australian citizenship once eligible.

In the meantime, the Subclass 103 visa gives them access to many of the advantages that Australian citizens experience.²

  • Live indefinitely, work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Sponsor family members applying for an Australian visa
  • Travel freely in and out of Australia for 5 years

With this visa type it’s also possible to apply without a sponsor if you apply as a retiree.

If you’re also looking into a partner visa, you can check our guides on the 820 temporary or 801 permanentsubclass visas.

How to apply for a 103 permanent parent visa

Here’s a walk through of the main steps you’ll need to take when you’re applying for a 103 Parent visa.³

  1. Ensure you have a valid passport as you’ll need one to be granted the visa.

  2. If you’re currently waiting on an outcome for one of these parent visas you’ll need to withdraw your application by completing the form and submitting it with your Subclass 103 application.

  • Subclass 804 Aged Parent Visa — See Part B
  • Subclass 173 Contributory Parent visa (Temporary) — See Part C
  • Subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent visa (Temporary) — See Part C
  1. Gather all of the required documents and photographs for the application. Police certificates will need to be original, while all other documents should be certified paper copies. Any documents that aren’t in English will also need to be translated.
  • In Australia this should be done by someone accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.
  • Overseas the translator needs to write their full name, address, phone number and relevant qualifications/experience on each translation in English.
  1. When you have completed the application you’ll need to pay the first fee installment online using your ImmiAccount, then mail the paperwork to the Parent Visa Processing Centre in Perth. The address is on the application form.

Requirements for a 103 permanent parent visa

Eligibility requirements

When applying for a Subclass 103 visa there are a few eligibility requirements that need to be met.
Some of the requirements apply to all applicants.⁴

  • You mustn’t have applied for, or currently hold a Subclass 870 visa
  • All family members are debt free to the Australian government
  • You meet the Australian Health and Character requirements
  • You’re willing to sign an Australian Values Statement

If you’re applying for the visa with a sponsor, there are some additional criteria.⁴

  • You have an eligible sponsor
  • You meet the Balance of Family requirements
  • You can provide an Assurance of Support

If you’re applying as a retiree then you’ll need to meet the following.⁴

  • You held a Subclass 405 or Subclass 410 visa prior to May 8, 2018, and haven’t held another substantive visa since then
  • You hold a valid health insurance policy

Document requirements

In general the applicant should provide the following documents in their Subclass 103 visa application.³

After the initial application you may be asked for character documents, like a police certificate. If a partner or any dependent children are on the application there are further documents that are required for them.

If you’re applying for the visa with a sponsor you must also provide the following.³

  • Documents proving you meet the Balance of Family test
  • Completed Sponsorship for migration to Australia form
  • Proof of your sponsor's relationship to you
  • Proof the sponsor is an eligible Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen
  • Assurance of Support documents (Provided after initial application)

Application costs and fees.

The application fee for the visa is $6490 AUD¹. It’s paid in two installments and doesn’t include any additional costs for the application such as obtaining documents, getting translations and postage fees.

Meet Wise

How long is the parent visa 103 processing time?

The Department of Home Affairs: Immigration and Citizenship don’t provide an estimated processing time for this visa. They do note that it could take many years due to the demand for this type of visa.²

Visa and immigrations contact details

If you need to speak to the Department of Home Affairs: Immigration and Citizenship about the visa you’ll need to call them.

  • 131 881 within Australia
  • +61 2 6196 0196 from overseas

Frequently asked questions about the 103 permanent parent visa

How long is this visa valid for?

The 103 Parent visa allows you to stay in Australia permanently.¹

Can I sponsor my family members to come to Australia with a 103 Visa?

If you’re applying with a sponsor you can include members of your family unit on your application.

If you’re applying as a retiree you can include your partner if they’re also retired. You can’t include children.²

What are my obligations to be eligible to obtain this visa?

You and any family members on the application must meet the visa conditions and follow Australian law.²

Where can I apply from?

If you’re applying with a sponsor, you and anyone else on the application should be together, inside or outside of Australia. If you’re applying as a retiree you must be within Australia.²

Applications are invalid if you’re in immigration clearance.²

Can I travel out of and back into Australia with this visa?

For the first 5 years you can travel freely to and from Australia. After the 5 years is up you have two options to enable you to continue travelling.²

  1. Apply for a Resident Return Visa
  2. Become an Australian Citizen and obtain an Australian passport

Wrapping up.

During the process of reuniting your family in Australia, you’ll likely need to send money between overseas and Australian bank accounts. Using traditional banks for international transactions can result in some eye opening fees and charges, this is where Wise comes in.

With Wise you can easily send money overseas using their secure online transfer system. There’s no hidden fees and you’ll get the real exchange rate, just like you’d see on Google.

Alternatively, you can open a WiseMulti-currency account which enables you to send, store and exchange over 50 different currencies with no monthly account fees.

With this account you can order a Wise debit card to make daily spending easier, at home or abroad.

Open your Wise account in minutes 🚀

Best wishes for your visa application.


  1. Australian Department of Home Affairs — Subclass 103 Parent visa: Overview
  2. Australian Department of Home Affairs — Subclass 103 Parent visa: About this visa
  3. Australian Department of Home Affairs — Subclass 103 Parent visa: Step by step
  4. Australian Department of Home Affairs — Subclass 103 Parent visa: Eligibility
    Sources checked on date: 19 December 2021

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.

Money for here, there and everywhere

Find out more

Tips, news and updates for your location