Complete guide to education loans available for Indian students pursuing higher studies abroad. Read on to go over the available options & general requirements.
Spain can be a good choice for Indian students that want an European experience. Whether it is for a business school like ESADE in Barcelona, or language programs, or even culinary school, Spain has a lot to offer.
Learn more about getting a student visa for Spain and what you can expect from the process.
|📝 Table of contents|
This article can highlight many aspects of the visa and immigration process but it is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. It is recommended to seek out help from an immigration specialist if you have questions on your particular application. It is also advisable to keep on top of new updates on immigration to Spain from the Embassy of Spain in India.
Since Spain is part of the Schengen border control system, it follows a similar visa process as other European countries in the area. But there are some differences.
There are 2 types of visa applications to study in Spain with each depending on your length of stay in the country:
|Length of Stay in Spain||Type of Visa||Foriegn Identity Card Required?|
|Short term student visa||< 90 days||Schengen||No|
|Long term student visa||> 90 days||National Visa||Yes|
The short term visa has to be for a program that is less than 90 days and requires less paperwork in general. It is a typical Schengen short term visa and can not be extended, and it doesn’t require additional registration in Spain.
🛂If you are staying for longer than 90 days, you are required to apply for a National Visa which allows for studying in the country beyond 3 months. You will have to register locally once you are in Spain and provide additional documents, but more on that later.
🎒But to start it all off, you need to first be enrolled in an educational institution in Spain. This can be a university, a college, a training program or exchange program. You will need to have applied, been accepted and have evidence of enrollment, either by letter or by payment of tuition, or ideally both.
To qualify for a long term national visa, you will need to be applying as a full time student in Spain
Once you have enrolled, you should start the visa application process at least 2-3 months before you are slated to arrive in Spain.
The process for either visa starts with downloading and completing the visa application form. This is not an online application, but a PDF to complete and print out. Additionally, you will need to provide physical documents alongside your application at the time of submission.
The visa application process is handled by the Embassy of Spain in India and the Consulate General of Spain in India in Mumbai. Each entity makes the decision for the student visas for their jurisdiction in India.
If you are applying for a short term visa to Spain, the visa processing service BLS is used by the Embassy and Consulate of Spain. BLS will help collect your information, and be the point of contact for payment for your visa fees.
For the longer term visa, you will need to apply and pay the consular fees directly to the Embassy of Spain in India, or the Consulate General in Mumbai.¹
The Embassy of Spain in New Delhi presides over the following areas in India. So if you are a resident of one of these areas, you will need to submit your application to New Delhi:
|Jammu and Kashmir||Uttar Pradesh||Nagaland||Punjab||Bihar|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Himachal Pradesh||Meghalaya||Chandigarh||Jharkhand|
|Madhya Pradesh||Manipur||Uttarakhand||West Bengal||Tripura|
|Rajasthan||Ladakh||Assam||Andaman and Nicobar Islands.||Lakshadweep Island|
If you reside in any of the following places, you will have to submit your application to the Consulate General of Spain in Mumbai²:
If you receive a student visa, ensure that you comply with the rules of the visa. This means staying as a valid student throughout your time in Spain and leaving before your visa expires. Long term visas may have an option for extensions, however. Also, in most cases, you will not be able to work on a Spain study visa, but check with your educational institution for exceptions.
Here is a quick step by step guide to the student visa process for Spain:
- Apply and enroll in an educational program or degree in a qualified Spanish institution that allows for international students.
- Figure out whether you need a short term or long term visa
- Collect all your documents and passport photos
- Complete and sign the required application for a short term visa or the long term national visa
- Create an application package with the required documents, valid passport and photos
- Book an appointment at either BLS or the Embassy or Consulate General of Spain to submit your application
- Pay the application and consular fees as required
- Await your visa decision
It is likely that the Embassy or Consulate will reach out to you directly in case any additional information is needed. So keep an eye on your phone or email for any requests for additions to your application.
If you are staying beyond 6 months in Spain to study, there is one more step. You will need to apply for a Foreign Identity Student card at the Foreign Office or local police station when you arrive in Spain. Check with your institution how to complete this step easily. ³
To have a successfully submitted application, there are a few requirements that Indian students have to meet. Let’s take a look.
The visa authorities want to see that you can pay your tuition fees and your living expenses while in Spain.
So as of June 2021, you will need to show that you have access to the following amounts for the length of your program:
|Minimal Financial requirement per month||Sample 9 Month Program|
|Amount in Euros||€538||€4,841|
|Amount in Indian Rupees*||₹47,490||₹4,27,322|
*All INR prices shown are converted at the mid-market exchange rate of EUR €1 = ₹88.27 as of June 22, 2021
You can show that you meet the above financial requirement by submitting documents highlighting access to the amounts above with your application⁴:
- Evidence of tuition payment
- Income tax return for the last 2 years
- Original bank statement within the last 6 months
- Documentation showing a grant or scholarship for the program
✈️ You will also need to show that you have enough for your return air ticket. You can show evidence of this with a purchased round trip ticket, or having additional funds in your bank account to cover the expense when it comes.
Providing sufficient proof of who you are, your educational history and your means of support is key to a complete application. Here are the documents that will be required for a complete Spain student visa application:
If you are staying in Spain longer than 90 days and are a full time student⁵:
- National visa application form
- Cover letter with your details and intention to study in Spain
- A passport with at least 2 blank pages and validity for the entire stay in Spain
- 1 copy of your biodata page of your passport
- Proof of meeting the financial requirements
- Travel medical or health insurance
- The original letter stating your acceptance and enrollment in the program in Spain. The letter must state that it is for full time study
- 1 copy of acceptance letter
- Evidence of accommodation in Spain
If your program requires you to be in Spain longer than 180 days, you will also need to provide the following:
- An original and valid police clearance certificate from the past 3 months
- 1 copy of the police clearance certificate
- 1 original medical certificate from a doctor that states you are not suffering from any public health disease in accordance with International Health Regulations
- A copy of the medical certificate
If you are staying in Spain less than 90 days⁶:
- Schengen visa application
- A passport with at least 2 blank pages and validity for at least 3 months after you intend to leave Spain, and less than 10 years old
- 1 copy of your biodata page of your passport
- Evidence of academic history in India
- Travel medical insurance
- Letter from Spanish educational program including the contact details, and program dates
- 1 copy of the letter from the Spanish educational program
- Cover letter about the purpose of the visit
- Evidence of a roundtrip ticket to Spain and back to India
- Proof of accommodation during the entire time in Spain
- Evidence of financial requirements
Travel medical insurance is required for both types of visas to travel and stay in Spain. The Spanish embassy has provided a list of approved insurance providers in Indiathat you can purchase a plan from.
The average visa processing time can be about 4 working days for a short term visa.⁷
Long term visas can take up to 1 month to be processed. ⁸
It can take longer depending on where and how you submit your application and if there is a need for additional documents. Similarly, you may be requested to appear for an interview which can add time to the application turnaround time.
Ready to submit an application for a student visa to Spain? Let’s make sure you have what you need. Keep in mind that each person’s application varies so you may be asked for additional documents.
- A full signed and completed application
- A valid passport
- Copy of biodata page of passport
- 2 passport size photos
- Letter of acceptance from the Spanish program or institution
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of meeting the financial requirements
- A travel medical insurance coverage
- Copy of educational history in India
- Medical certificate, if necessary
- Police clearance certificate, if necessary
- Appointment to submit the application to the appropriate embassy, consulate or BLS service
- Payment of application fees
The Embassy of Spain has their fees payable in local Indian Rupees when you submit an application. The fees must be paid as a bank or demand draft to the name of “Embassy of Spain ''. Fees paid in cash will not be accepted.
Here is the cost of the long term study visa⁹:
|Long term study visa||₹5,367|
Short term visas have two charges, one for the visa fee and a second being the BLS service charge:
|Short term visa fee||₹7,156|
|BLS service charge||₹1,382|
The BLS service charge can be paid in cash.¹⁰
The visa application fee and service charge are non-refundable.
And if you are already in Spain, check out Wise to get a free Wise account and card that works locally. You can use this single card so you can get, hold, send and spend money in multiple currencies.
So whether you are heading home, traveling on holiday or buying groceries, your Wise account lets you swipe like a local.
|🖨 If you found this guide helpful or want to refer to it later, right click on the screen and click ‘Print’, then save it as a PDF|
- Student visa for Spain
- Embassy and Consulate of Spain in India
- Foreign Identity card
- Financial means
- Long term visa documents
- Short term visa documents
- Short term visa processing
- Long term visa processing
- Long term visa fee
- Short term visa fee
All sources checked as of 22 June, 2021
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
Avanse provides loan to Indian student to help finance their higher studies abroad. Read on to learn more about how to apply and what you need to know before.
Complete guide to Leap Finance study abroad loans for Indian student pursuing MS in US. Read on to learn how to apply and what you need to know before you do.
Complete guide to Juno for international students: an online platform facilitating student loan deals for students pursuing higher studies in USA.
Studying abroad is a big financial investment for students. Research carried out by Wise, the global technology company building the best way to move money...
Review of Prodigy Finance Collateral-Free Study Abroad Loans for International Students. Read on to learn how it works and what you need to know before applying