Complete guide to education loans available for Indian students pursuing higher studies abroad. Read on to go over the available options & general requirements.
Latvia, nestled on the Baltic Sea, is a European Union country that is open to international students. In fact, it is ranked 2nd in the world for the ratio of students to the overall population¹. Interested in studying in Latvia? Learn more about what it takes and how to apply for a Latvian student visa.
|📝 Table of contents|
For all countries, immigration is looked at on a case by case basis. So while this article can explain the visa process for students, it is in no way a replacement for advice sought from an immigration specialist or professional. In addition it is always best to contact the embassy or government website directly to stay updated on information in relation to immigration and visas.
Students from India who have been accepted to an accredited Latvian education institution can apply for a student visa.
Student visas are typically categorized as long-stay visas which allow the student to enter into the country for 90 days. Once you enter Latvia as a student, you will need to apply for a residence permit with the Latvia Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA).
🎒 But the first step in the process is to apply to a qualifying Latvian school or university that accepts international students. This is especially important as the institution will be required to have OCMA provide you a letter of acceptance.
Once you have been accepted and enrolled at a Latvian educational institution, you can then start the student visa process.
For Indian students, this means that you will have to work with the Embassy of Latvia in India and VFS Global, a common third party visa provider for overseas visas for your student long-term visa, or “D-visa”. In addition, you will need to upload your documents to HelloVerify, a document authenticator service online. Learn more about the exact process in the next section.
Any student applicants are required to participate in either a video or in-person interview with VFS Global in order to have their application assessed.
What does having a Latvia student visa mean? Here is what you can and can’t do for a Latvian student visa²:
|Do’s ✅||Don’ts ❌|
|Enter into Latvia on a student visa||Enter into Latvia without a student visa if you are enrolled at a Latvian school or university|
|Register with OCMA for a resident permit once you are in Latvia||Stay beyond 90 days in Latvia without a resident permit|
|Study in an academic program in Latvia||Apply for work in Latvia unless you have an employment or work permit|
|Submit your visa application at the VFS Global Centre in India and participate in the interview||Move ahead with your student visa application until you have received all your documents from the Latvian educational institution|
Latvia is in the European Union, but you will be applying for a National Visa Type D visa.
The Latvia student visa process is overall a 3 step process for Indian students. Here is how it works³:
Step 1: At home in India
- Apply and enroll in a Latvian educational institution
- Gather your documents, including your valid passport and certificates
- Reserve your air travel tickets for Latvia
- Complete the online application
- Print and sign your application
- Upload documents to HelloVerify
- Receive confirmation of upload
- Make an appointment with VFS Global Latvia
Step 2: VFS Global
- Submit your full application to one of the VFS Global offices in India
- Pay application fee at VFS Global office
- Attend your appointed interview date and time with the Embassy of Latvia in India at the VFS Global Latvia Visa application centre
- Track your application
Step 3: Latvia
- Upon entering Latvia, present your issued Latvia student visa at border patrol
- Within 90 days, enroll for a residence permit in Latvia at the OCMA office
Ready to start your Latvia student visa application? Let’s make sure you have everything you need. Read on to check that you have the requirements in order.
📌 One of the major steps in the student visa process is submitting your application at a VFS Global office. Here is a list of their offices in India where you can submit a Latvia application⁴:
- New Delhi
- Gurgaon (Premium Lounge only)
The VFS Global offices will accept your application and be the location to conduct your interviews, but the application overall will be assessed by the Embassy of Latvia in India.
The student visa financial requirements for Latvia are going to be dependent on the educational institution you have enrolled in.
Different institutions may have differing requirements for what is an acceptable amount to show. University of Latvia for instance requires student applicants to show €500/ ₹44,562* per month of their program as evidence of meeting the financial requirement⁵. Check the details closely of the school or university you are enrolled in for the exact number you need.
The evidence needed to support the financial requirement, however, is the same across all educational institutions. You will need to show all of the following⁶:
- Original private bank account statements for the last 3 months, plus
- A stamped and signed balance confirmation letter from the bank
- Indian income tax return acknowledgements for the past 3 years (Form 26AS, Form 16/ 16 A and the ITR-V).
If your study in Latvia will be supported by your family, your family member will be called a “sponsor”. You will need to show the documents above for said sponsor or family member, and:
- A notarized declaration of sponsorship
- Proof of professional status of the sponsor, like an employment contract and payslips for 3 months
- If self-employed, the company’s registration certificate, and 3 months of bank statements signed and stamped by the bank
**All INR prices shown are converted at the mid-market exchange rate of EUR €1 = ₹89.12 as of May 25, 2021
Here are the documents you will need to submit alongside the Latvia student visa application⁷:
- A valid passport with a minimum expiry date of 3 months beyond the prospective date of departure from Latvia, and with at least 2 blank pages
- The long-stay application form from the website
- 1 photo that is at 35mmx45mm taken at least within the past 6 months
- Invitation letter from the Latvian school or university approved by OCMA
- A copy of the signed study agreement
- Academic transcript, certificates or diplomas from your Indian schools or college
- A copy of proof of accommodation in Latvia (typically accommodation is provided by the university or college)
- Evidence of meeting the financial requirements
- The notarized declaration of sponsorship if applicable
- Ticket reservation for air travel to Latvia
- Travel medical insurance
- HelloVerify confirmation slip from document upload
- Visa fee payment
⚕️Health insurance coverage for a minimum of €42,600 is required for all student visa applicants. The Embassy of Latvia has provided a list of approved health insurance providers in India.
Processing time can take 10-15 business days in India. If you are applying at a VFS Global office that is outside of New Delhi, the processing time increases by approximately 2 business days.⁸
The Latvia student visa process in India is completed online and in person with VFS Global once you have been accepted into a Latvian educational programme.. Your application will be assessed and issued by the Embassy of Latvia in India, but you will need a residence permit once you arrive in Latvia. Here is a quick checklist on everything you will need for a visa application:
- A completed online application form printed and signed by the applicant
- One photo
- A valid Indian passport
- Invitation letter from the Latvian institution approved by OCMA
- A copy of the signed study agreement
- Evidence of meeting the financial requirements by you or your sponsor
- Notarized declaration of sponsorship if applicable
- Proof of academic history in India
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Air ticket reservation
- HelloVerify Confirmation Slip
- Visa fee payment
- Appointment with VFS Global for application submission
- Interview at VFS Global with Embassy at Latvia officials
- Payment of VFS Global fees
Certain items such as the air travel tickets are required for a successful application, however the Embassy of Latvia or VFS Global are not responsible for your tickets in the event your visa is refused. It is recommended to get refundable airline tickets.⁹
There are 2 main fees you will come across when you apply for a Latvia student visa:
- Latvia visa processing fee
- VFS Global’s service charge
The Latvia student visa application fee is €60/₹5,400 for single or double entry. This can be paid in cash or by debit/credit card.
VFS Global has a service charge of ₹2,397, and can similarly be paid in cash or by debit/credit card.
There are additional fees that may be required of student applicants in India by VFS Global. These include:
|Video Conferencing Fee||₹3,108|
|Mandatory courier fee||₹551|
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there is likelihood that your interview may be conducted through video conferencing rather than in person.
All fees are non-refundable, even if your visa application is refused.¹⁰
Let’s break down how much you can expect to pay for a Latvia student visa in Indian Rupees.
|Fees in Indian Rupee|
|VFS Global Service Charge||₹2,397|
|Video Conferencing Fee||₹3,108|
|Mandatory courier fee||₹551|
Whether you have to pay visa fees, tuition or housing payments, you can now make payments abroad from your Indian bank account with Wise Android/ iOS app or website. Wise uses smart tech to send money from India overseas the quick and simple way- and right from your mobile or computer.
And if you are already in Latvia, check out getting a Wise account and card. It is a single account that lets you hold, send, receive and spend money from 65+ countries. And with the Wise card, you can swipe and pay like a local, wherever you are.
Join the over 10 million people that use Wise to send money around the world.
|🖨 If you found this guide helpful or want to refer to it later, right click on the screen and click ‘Print’, then save it as a PDF|
- Latvia student population
- Latvia Student Visa
- Latvia student visa process
- VFS Global offices in India
- University of Latvia
- Financial Requirements
- Processing time
- Airline tickets
All sources checked as of 2 June, 2021
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its affiliates. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
Avanse provides loan to Indian student to help finance their higher studies abroad. Read on to learn more about how to apply and what you need to know before.
Complete guide to Leap Finance study abroad loans for Indian student pursuing MS in US. Read on to learn how to apply and what you need to know before you do.
Complete guide to Juno for international students: an online platform facilitating student loan deals for students pursuing higher studies in USA.
Studying abroad is a big financial investment for students. Research carried out by Wise, the global technology company building the best way to move money...
Review of Prodigy Finance Collateral-Free Study Abroad Loans for International Students. Read on to learn how it works and what you need to know before applying