Complete guide to education loans available for Indian students pursuing higher studies abroad. Read on to go over the available options & general requirements.
HDFC bank has an extensive variety of banking accounts available to NRIs.
Learn about the different accounts that HDFC offers and see if they can be a good fit for you as you head overseas.
|📝 Table of contents
If you are an Indian citizen living abroad for more than 182 days a year, or about to do so, you will need to transfer your Indian bank accounts into NRI accounts.
HDFC offers NRI bank accounts under 4 different categories:
- NRI Savings Accounts
- NRI Current Accounts
- NRI Salary Accounts
- Returning NRI Accounts
Let’s take a look at the account options for each one:
Similar to a normal Indian savings account, NRI Savings accounts are standard bank accounts but for Indian citizens and OCI/ PIOs living abroad for work, family or studies.
- NRE Savings Accounts for income earned abroad
- NRO Savings Accounts for income earned in India
- RFC Savings Accounts for keeping the earnings in a the foreign currency
|🔖 Read more: Full guide to NRE/ NRO accounts
The HDFC NRI current accounts let you hold Indian rupee earnings, remit funds and deposit foreign income.
- NRE Current Account for remitting income back home with access for family members in India
- NRO Current Account for income earned in India
NRI Salary accounts lets you have access to salaries earned in India and for use while abroad and back home.
- NRI Premium Salary Account for higher daily withdrawal limits and a platinum debit card
- NRI Regular Salary Account for normal salary income in India with preferential rates for remittances
- NRE Seafarer Account for mariners and crew members who are working with shipping companies
For NRIs returning to India, HDFC offers accounts to make the process of moving earnings and income from abroad back to India, with an eye towards exchange rates.
- RFC Savings Account for retaining earnings abroad in a foreign currency and withdrawing in Indian Rupees
- RFC Fixed Deposits for holding FDs in a foreign currency to mitigate exchange rate risk
- RFC Overdraft against Fixed Deposits to manage cash flow for a current or savings account
- Demat, Mutual Funds, Offshore Investments and Loans against Securities accounts for growing and protecting your earnings
- Insurance accounts for travel, health, accidental and life
There are 2 main ways to open an NRI account with HDFC.
- To apply in person at an HDFC bank branch near you in India
- To complete the contact form online and await contact from an HDFC NRI banking representative
In both cases you will need to provide the required documentation to support your status as an NRI. ²
It is also recommended to look into what type of NRI account is best for you ahead of time. Research into NRE and NRO accounts can help you make the best decision for you and your family.
If you are not in India or unable to get to a bank branch, you can begin the process to open an HDFC NRI account online by filling out the online form. Here are the steps:
- Complete the online contact form for NRIs
- Insert your contact details and your current local residence
- Submit the form
- An HDFC representative will reach out to you for next steps
HDFC may reach out to you directly by call, SMS or Whatsapp when you provide your mobile phone details.
If you need additional support, you can reach out to NRI services at HDFC at firstname.lastname@example.org ³
Supporting documents play an important role in opening an NRI account. Here are the major documents you may need to open an NRI account at HDFC:⁴
- A copy of your passport, including all personal detail pages
- A confirmation of residence as is listed on the application (this can be an overseas address or an Indian address)
- Proof of Overseas address
- Proof of Indian address
- Copy of PAN card or Form 60
- Copy of overseas employment or residence visa or permit as proof of NRI status
- A passport sized color photo
- A deposit check from your personal account for the minimum account deposit needed for your HDFC NRI account
If you are applying from outside of India for an HDFC NRI account, you will need to have your documents and copies attested by the Indian Embassy in your residence country. If that’s not possible, you can have a notary or banker attest them as well.
While this list is comprehensive, you may be required to provide additional documents depending on your own unique circumstances and application.
|🔔 Get exchange rate alerts from Wise, send money to India at the perfect time
HDFC NRI accounts require a minimum balance to avoid account fees. Here is what to expect as a minimum balance from NRE and NRO accounts at HDFC:⁵
|Type of account
|Minimum balance for Metro/Urban accounts
|Minimum balance for Semi-Urban/Rural accounts
|NRE Savings & Currents Accounts
|NRO Savings & Currents Accounts
Other HDFC NRI accounts may have different minimum balances or deposits, and the requirements may also depend on your overall banking relationship.
Check with your HDFC representative for the particular account you are interested in.
HDFC offers interest rates for their various NRI accounts. Take a look at the current interest rates below.⁶
|Below ₹50 lakhs
|Above ₹50 lakhs
|NRE & NRO Savings Accounts
|NRE & NRO Account
|RFC Savings Account
|RFC Fixed Deposit Account
|⚠️ Your interest rate also depends on your overall HDFC banking relationship
Overall HDFC can be a great option for NRIs looking to park and manage their earnings in India and abroad. On top of the account options, there are additional benefits:
- Interest earned on NRE accounts can be tax-free in India
- HDFC has a low minimum balance requirements
- Remitting money can be easy with HDFC remit options
- HDFC has an easy process for converting your regular account in India to a NRI account
Learn more about HDFC NRI options on the HDFC website or contact a bank representative to identify the right accounts for you. ⁷
Sending money from India used to be complicated and expensive.
Now with Wise, you can send money online directly from your Indian bank account to bank accounts abroad.
|🚀 International transfers are fast, simple, and cheap with the Wise Web/Android/ iOS app
|💸 Save money on your next international transfer with Wise💸
And if you are already abroad, check out the Wise multi currency account and card.
It is a single account where you can hold 65+ different currencies in one place, including Indian Rupees. With the Wise card, you can swipe like a local globally, while still sending, receiving and holding money from home.
You can find the Wise multi currency account in the US, UK, Australia, Canada and other countries around the world.
If you need assistance with opening an HDFC account or with your current NRI account, the bank has customer care centres on the phone, email and through the website.
For NRI customers, you can reach HDFC customer care at these numbers to open an account:
If you already have a HDFC account you can access customer care through the mobile app or Netbanking portal.
You can also troubleshoot any issues using the HDFC website FAQs section, or use the automated chat system Eva that pops up at the bottom of your screen.⁸
Sources used for this article:
- HDFC NRI Accounts
- Opening an HDFC NRI Account
- HDFC Online application
- Minimum balance
- Interest rates
- Customer care
All sources checked as of 18 August, 2021
This publication is provided for general information purposes and does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from Wise Payments Limited or its subsidiaries and its affiliates, and it is not intended as a substitute for obtaining advice from a financial advisor or any other professional.
We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether expressed or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.
Avanse provides loan to Indian student to help finance their higher studies abroad. Read on to learn more about how to apply and what you need to know before.
Complete guide to Leap Finance study abroad loans for Indian student pursuing MS in US. Read on to learn how to apply and what you need to know before you do.
Complete guide to Juno for international students: an online platform facilitating student loan deals for students pursuing higher studies in USA.
Studying abroad is a big financial investment for students. Research carried out by Wise, the global technology company building the best way to move money...
Review of Prodigy Finance Collateral-Free Study Abroad Loans for International Students. Read on to learn how it works and what you need to know before applying