When you turn on Interest or Stocks, you’re investing in units in a fund. If you’re a French tax resident, this means you may need to pay capital gains tax.
Capital gains tax can become due when you dispose of units in the fund and you realise a gain. In other words, when you spend, send, convert or move money to another account.
Capital gains in France are subject to both capital gains tax and social charges. Capital gains are taxed at a flat rate of 12.8% and social charges at a flat rate of 17.2% for a total of 30%.
Filing a tax return
French tax residents are required to submit an income tax return every year.
If you have previously submitted a tax return, you should receive a pre-filled form automatically for you to review and amend.
If you have not received a tax return to complete, you can get one from your local tax office or online through the government website. Please see Déclarer mes revenus for more information.
If you're a sole trader using Interest or Stocks, the guidance above does not apply to you — we’d recommend speaking to your own tax advisers if you need support.