What is the Wise virtual card?
What is a virtual card?
The Wise virtual card lets you spend using the real exchange rate online, in-store and while you travel - but exists only in your Wise account, either on your phone or laptop.
There’s no need to carry your wallet, and no risk of your card being compromised. Your virtual card has different details to your physical card, and can be frozen after each purchase. That means it’s a safe, smart and simple way to spend no matter where in the world you are.
Hold 50+ currencies at once, convert them in real time using the free Wise app, then spend online, in-store and abroad with your virtual card.
Currently to get the Wise virtual card you’ll first need to order a physical card. But don’t worry, you don’t need to wait for your physical card to arrive before you start spending on your virtual one.
Spend safely online, in-store and abroad with the Wise virtual card.
Benefits of the Wise virtual card.
- Make payments online and freeze your virtual debit card after each purchase.
- Your global virtual card number is different to your physical card number, adding an extra layer of security for your purchases.
- Have up to 3 virtual cards at a time, and use them to manage your spending by using different cards for different expense types.
- Shop wherever in the world contactless payments are accepted using Apple Pay, Google Pay or another virtual wallet of your choice, all at the real exchange rate.
- Once you’ve ordered your physical card, you can get a Wise virtual card immediately in the Wise app, and start spending.
- The Wise virtual card is free to all customers with personal or business Wise accounts (except our customers in the US or Japan)
Create your virtual card in 3 simple steps.
Order your card and top up your account.
Create your free Wise account in just a few minutes, and order your physical card. Open a balance in any of the 50+ currencies available, and top your account up to get started.
Click 'Get a digital card.'
In the Wise app, you'll find the virtual card option under the name 'digital card'. Slide your cards to the right until you see the purple card appear. Click ‘Get a digital card’. Or if you’re on the website, access the cards tab and find the same option. It’s really that simple.
Spend quickly and safely without rip-off fees.
Start using your virtual card straight away, and take advantage of all Wise has to offer - low currency conversion fees and currency exchange at the mid-market rate.
Who is the virtual card great for?
- For travellers who want an additional layer of security while spending abroad.
- For ecommerce shoppers who want to ensure their financial details aren’t compromised when buying from new sites at home and abroad.
- For environmentally conscious consumers - virtual cards reduce plastic waste!
- For ‘where’s my wallet?’ people - your virtual card lives entirely online in your Wise account making it easily accessible, anytime.
The Wise virtual card is safe and secure.
- The Wise virtual card isn’t physical. That means it can’t be stolen and re-used.
- Freeze your card within the app after each purchase - and un-freeze just as easily when you’re ready to use it again.
- Use your virtual card details if you don’t fully trust the company you’re purchasing from - you don’t have to share your primary card details.
- Instantly replace your card details if you think your account has been compromised.
- Set up subscriptions with your virtual card and freeze it afterwards to make sure no additional transactions are debited without your knowledge.
Virtual card FAQ.
Get your virtual card.
Start spending safely online, in-store and abroad.